Technology turning learning and teaching upside down

Tonight a small group of learners met at a school in Coquitlam for a lesson on how to construct wiimote ir pens. These little homemade devices are amazing. They turn any ordinary whiteboard into a smart board sort of tool.  These are all made from common household sorts of part yet this was no common lesson… The learners included three teachers, one sfu faculty associate (me!)  and one middle school vice principal…. the teachers, two twelve year old boys.  When I walked in the boys were just finishing up their organizing. They were dishing out the components to the work stations, scrambling to find an extra extension cords, getting the soldering irons preheated and downloading some software on to one of the classroom laptops.  Then the teachers arrived and we got going.  The boys showed us how to plan the wiring, solder the connections, complete the circuit and then use our cell phones to test the connection. They had the software up and running so that we could test out our pens on the screen as we finished.  They had to talk us through downloading the softwareon our own away from home, but listening to them, it all seemed amazingly simple.  All in all the experience was nothing short of wonderful and I loved that it was them teaching us.  If you want to know more about these pens or how to contact these amazing young fellows, let me know. I’m happy to support them in this venture.

2 thoughts on “Technology turning learning and teaching upside down

1. It was indeed a great experience! Isn’t it great when students become the teachers? The wiimote ir pens create an affordable opportunity for students to come to the white board and also ‘be the teacher’.

Also, the boys did an exceptional job… did you notice the mentorship that went on between these two students?)

2. Yes the mentorship was amazing to watch wasn’t it? I suspect that having you there as well was quite affirming and empowering for them. Thanks for joining in Dave.

Did you know that they have also committed to researching ways to get this working more smoothly on mac computers? They are a pretty determined pair so it will be great to see what they come back with. I’m always keen to meet “kids to watch”. It will be interesting to see where these two are in 10 years.