Waves of Change

This morning the ocean is quiet.Waves

Most mornings the waves pound in on the rocks here where my family and I have temporarily relocated in Akumal, Mexico. Most mornings the waves are a steady reminder to me of their power and their continuity.  As each wave rolls in so close that I can almost feel it crashing on to the shore, it brings a cool relief from the heat, from the relentless humidity and from the mosquitoes that fill the jungle only just across the road. Each wave makes this a beautiful place to be. And wave after wave, each one loud and thundering, demands that I pay attention.

I love the waves but at the same time I am frightened and awed by them;  And in the same way,  I marvel at the power and force of the continuous waves of change in our world though they too command my respect.  The change has let me do so much.  Yet,  have I done enough? Do I keep up? Do I know enough? Am I outdated? Is it all moving too fast? Am I being carried by the current in directions I don’t want to go? Can I see where these waves are taking me?

This morning’s calm is providing me a pause in the urgency in the same way that this time-out year, this space away from the rapid waves of change in our society, is giving me time to think.

Our time in Spain before this was a transition and a true break in the waves, but now here in Mexico as our trip away wears on, the waves are starting up again as surely as the waves in the ocean will pick up as this day too wears on. It won’t stay calm.  All around me I’m seeing the impact of change. Being Canadian, coming here to Mexico I am often aware that I am riding high on the waves. I’m in a very privileged spot.  I should have a clear view. But the time spent here is starting to let me see the lows as well as the highs.   Change here has a power and force all its own. It has a current that we can’t control.  Change brings money and tourists but at the same time it brings poverty and an odd twist in the state of happiness. The change that put this beautiful place here for me to stay and enjoy meant others were moved off to make room for me.

Akumal, Mexico is a beautiful tourist “town.”  There are two gorgeous sandy beaches within a short walking distance of our rented ocean side property.  One of the beaches has a strip of condos on the water side, the other, three hotels and a bit of a “town” with two dive shops, a couple of small but expensive grocery stores, a handful of art and souvenir stores,  the obligatory silver store, four or five restaurants, a bakery, a “gringo” gym and yoga studio as well as hotel offices.  I believe there is even a hostel back behind the basketball court and the outdoor stage. Behind that, in the jungle across the highway is a small pueblo.

The “pueblo” of Akumal is easy to spot on Google Earth if you follow the single highway straight south from Cancun to a small carved out grid away from the water side,  just 4 blocks long, by 8 blocks wide. The pueblo was created in the late 1990’s to move the “locals” out of the beach area, not all bad apparently but in that 32 square block area, over 3,000 “locals” live.  The gap in the differences between tourist life and local life here is constantly evident, like the peaks and valleys of the waves on the shore. And as with the waves, there is tension too. There are quieter days when the water is calmer but the waves always come pounding back.

Walking into the pueblo

Walking into the pueblo

As for me, I’m here with a purpose. Naive as it may be, I’m trying to involve myself in the local community.  I’m trying to find real ways to help with education and to learn what I can about the people here. I’m trying to find out how with limited (but improving) spanish and all my technical wizardry, my fancy teaching experience, my cutting-edge knowledge of teaching methodology, how I might possibly have something to offer that is of value to the people here.  I’m trying, with my sixteen year old daughter, and my husband to not just tour the area for the five months that we’re here, but to sort out what in this constantly changing world we’ve catapulted from, is of value in what we know and can do, that might make a difference and be of real use to this community. I’m trying to learn about the waves here, when and how to dive in to swim without being completely carried away.

6 thoughts on “Waves of Change

1. I just wanted to let you know that I loved your writing. It is a great creative description of what Akumal is, the meaning of what you see around you, and how it impacts you. I hope that you are finding a way to help the community. There are so many needs! I am constantly aware of all that is lacking and how we could try to change that.
    I am so glad I read this!
    Best wishes
    Laura Wolfe
    ( 26 years living in AKumal)

2. Laura, thanks for the comment.

Yes, we are managing to get involved with the biblioteca here and I’ve made two school visits with hopefully more to come. We’re really impressed with the support that the Hekab Be Biblioteca has from the American and Canadian community here and at home, although that too perhaps has a downside. It is always hard to know. The support is great for badly needed fundraising. That part is certain. Hopefully I’ll get a bit more blogging about some of the twists and turns done over the next bit of time. I’m certainly learning a great deal, more than just the rush of spanish.

I’m loving getting to know people here. We’ve met some really special people and some absolutely adorable children, a few who even come around to visit. We love that connection. There’s lots about all that we’re doing in the photo journal on the side. Feel free to browse through it. Nov 24 to the present is all in Akumal. Better still, come by the biblioteca and find us. We’re there many afternoons.

3. Hi, Betty – You are incredibly generous in sharing your experiences and wisdom in this blog as well as your photo entries. I’ve read all your blog entries including the ed tech ones and I’m beginning to understand the social nature of this medium – the point of making it public and creating a community. Your blogs invite others to the conversation – your contribution goes beyond Akumel. Mary

4. Mary, thanks for the very kind comment. The amazing thing about blogging is definitely the community that it creates. I follow several blogs and am always finding new ones that I want to keep up with. I’ve learned so much about education, teaching and life through the exchanges that I’ve had, reading blogs, commenting on blogs and then sometimes even meeting up with the people that I’ve come to know through their blogs. I’ve loved too that through blogging I’ve ended up having real conversations with some of my mentors, people with whom I might not have otherwise personally interacted with. I’ve found several new mentors as well. By its interactive nature it is so very different from simply reading books, journals and other print sources. If my blog has helped make some of all that a little clearer, than I’m thrilled.

5. It’s such a challenge, walking (or swimming) with purpose. Awareness of the way our lives affect both positively and negatively the lives of other people. It is so encouraging to know that there are others trying to find their way as gently and purposefully as possible. Thank you for your writing Betty, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading of your adventures!

6. I’m pleased to know that my writing lets us understand a way that we’re connected, really just as your comment here does too. In my mind, that is a lot of what blogging is about. It really works best to build a kind of shared and concerned community when people like you dive in. So Shawna thanks so much for participating and being a part of it.