As things take off

SFU’s new Learning and Teaching with Technology Graduate Diploma Program started up in Coqulitlam, BC two weeks ago. What is truly different for me with this program is that while the teachers coming in to the program have a wide range of skills just like previous teachers in TLITE programs, this time they have all just dived right in. And the first dive is higher, with more bounce and flair than I’ve seen at the beginning of a program before.

Last night, in just the second class, James McConville presented on ‘Digital Learning Networks’. He covered a lot and challenged the teachers to start building an online network with a fairly comprehensive final assignment. It included

contribut[ing] to the human network [by] comment[ing] on 5 news articles, 5 blogs, and 5 other networks (twitter, facebook, etc.).

The teachers were then asked to summarize their experience and create a mind map such as the one David Warlick has done here, in his blog post The Technologies we Make. (Read about PLN’s in his post Networked Learning at Conferences and/or try his PLN Survey.)

What is curious for me is that the information James presented could be considered to be cutting edge. James had only recently attended the International Congress for School Effectiveness in Vancouver and so what he was talking about was current for him. It was new and exciting, connections he’d made at the conference and how that impacts his work. Yet this group of “new to the program teachers” weren’t out of their depth as a group. Sure, individuals picked up on different things: some joined Twitter on the spot, others busily signed up for a Google Reader account, a few were following along with the blog posts his slide show directed them to, while still others were setting up new Google Docs account for the next activity I had forewarned them about, and yes, some were wondering what was going on. But overall, these teachers were demonstrating something very exciting in the way they participated in the presentation, a kind of readiness for change. A readiness for change in how they learn and how they will teach. Immediately after James finished, one teacher excitedly told me

I’ve realized it’s not at all about the technology. It’s about me and about my learning.

That comment came through in an interesting way in the profile sheets that the students filled out after the first introductory class. For the most part they genuinely have enrolled in this program to gain a deeper understanding of how to effectively use the technology to enhance student learning in an informate manner, rather than simply to automate their teaching. The “what we know” and “what we hope to gain” Wordle art from this group is interesting to consider. In both cases the word technology was removed from the mix. In the first wordle it would have appeared 39 times, in the second 51.

What we Know:

What we hope to gain:

12 thoughts on “As things take off

1. Yes, I feel like I need to be there to keep up! James’s session was a dazzler, from what I heard from a participant.

2. *Sigh* Can I come join your group? The lower mainland groups are very lucky to have people come in and present. If you had not come up here to talk about Web 2.0, well jeez, where I’d be?? 🙂 How about sending Dave up here????? We’ll pick a WARM day! :p

Cindy

3. As a member I have to agree that this group has a certain chemistry going for it. I think everyone, regardless of their knowledge and experience, feels comfortable contributing at their own level. Initially I had grave concerns whether I could handle a four-hour class after a long day at work. So far I have found myself to be cerebrally-engaged and invigorated by the classes. Not bad for an “old geezer” like me, eh? Enough, time for my nap…

4. As a ‘mature student’ I feel that the LTT program has got off to a great start! The vast variety of educators that attend classes are all ready to share their knowledge and open to learning sooo much more! I love the audio comment you made here! I look forward to becoming a computer geek!!

5. Betty,
    What incredible work you are doing. Can you tell me…what is LTT (in terms of the acronym?) This is a new one for me. Thank you so much for your audio comment to our blog. Our first. Anxious to share this with the staff. Have a wonderful week.

6. Theresa, It was fun to do. My 15 year old daughter was trying to study at the dining room table while I was recording it. She thought it was all pretty hilarious. I had to rerecord twice to get her giggles out. Thanks for your comment here.

LTT stands for Learning and Teaching with Technology. It is a new graduate diploma program for practicing teachers being offered by the Field Programs Department of Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada. This cohort of it is being piloted in partnership with the Coquitlam School District. Brochures and more information about the program are available from the Field Program website at http://www.educ.sfu.ca/fp/gd/index.html, if you follow the links to information about programs being offered. Thanks for asking.

7. Betty,

Thanks for posting this information up. It is great to share all the learning of the group in a public space. Really contributes to all educator’s learning experience.

James

8. wow…sounds great Betty…its neat how we all shift and change/modify and share our learning…that first few days back in the summer of ’07…Whew! It will be nice to connect with more teachers integrating technology into their learning!